4.23.2010

The Amazing Packing Race!


Recently I celebrated my 2 year anniversary of my Amazing Race experience with my friend Marisa! I cannot believe it has already been 2 years, time flies! I reminisced on all of the fun times and friends that I made. Really, they are like my second family even though we don't see or talk to each other everyday. We know we can always count on each other if we ever need anything. I thought about how hilarious the night before we left was. Marisa came over to my house and we were going through our backpacks, making sure we had everything. I eliminated a few little items I thought I could live without. Marisa on the other hand pretty much eliminated an entire 2nd backpack. haha! She packed hair volumizer, Gucci perfume, a hair straightener, hairspray, tons of makeup... I don't know what else but it looked like she thought we were going to be staying in five star hotels every night! Along the way I made mental notes on what I would do differently if I got the chance to do it again. So here is my list!

water bladder - we went through so many bottles of water, it would have been so much easier to fill up this big pack! Also, it doesn't take up as much room as a water bottle.
sleeping bag - We had to sleep on the hard, cold, sidewalk in Bolivia. I layered blankets and snuggled up to Marisa, I was SO jealous of the smart teams that brought sleeping bags! (You can get sleeping bags that roll up very tiny!)


Woolite packets - You can get pretty smelly while racing! These travel size Woolite packets are perfect for washing clothes (especially underwear!) when you are fortunate enough to be staying in a hotel!
 • Fast drying underwear - They may not be Victoria's Secret, but you will be glad you got these panties! They are made of mainly nylon, so you can wash them (with your Woolite of course) before you go to sleep and when you wake up they will be completely dry! I did not know about these, and was stuck drying mine with a hairdryer (when you get a hotel that has one!)
Small backpack - Marisa and I were pretty clueless when it came to backpacking. I did the only thing I knew to do and went to The Backpacker and sneakily ask a guy what kind of backpack I should get. I wasn't able to tell him where I would be going. (Obviously, b/c I didn't even know!) He chose an Eagle Creek pack. It was a great pack, my friends Jaime & Erik went backpacking in Europe and had the same ones! However, the Amazing Race is a completely different experience! I would suggest getting a pack around this size... if you pack items that can be compacted very small you don't need the large one anyways!
Girls: easy on the makeup! - This is the Amazing Race, not a red carpet event. You won't look bad on tv, I looked awful in person but I seemed to not look as bad on tv! That made me very happy! All you need is some powder, mascara (waterproof), and lipgloss. I honestly got to the point where I didn't care what I looked like anymore, all I cared about was water, food & sleep!

Those are just a few of the things I can think of right now. You really just need to know how to pack light, while also packing for ALL weather conditions!  Happy Racing! :)

1 comment:

  1. You have NOOOOOO idea how useful this was. Gracias!

    ReplyDelete

::COMMENTS::