5.23.2010

Obsession with Pesto

I have a ridiculously crazy obsession for pesto. It doesn't matter what time of day, I could eat it. If you have it made already, it's a very quick meal! (which is sometimes a bad thing!) My favorite way to eat it is over bowtie pasta, but sometimes I mix it with a little bit of mayo on my sandwiches. My mom bought me two basil plants, so I've been waiting for them to grow up enough to make some pesto! I also needed THIS...

 
My grandma bought it for me, and I am so excited I want to cook something everyday! My  basil plants finally grew enough for me to make some pesto, they were so pretty I hated cutting them back! :(

The recipe my mom always uses is an Ina garten recipe, so that is what I used as well. Except I omitted the walnuts, I just didn't think they were necessary. Also, I only used 4 cloves of garlic and it was plenty garlicy! I think 9 might be a little much! So here's the recipe!

•1/4 cup walnuts
•1/4 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
•3 tablespoons chopped garlic (9 cloves)
•5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
•1 teaspoon kosher salt
•1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
•1 1/2 cups good olive oil
•1 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Place the walnuts, pignolis, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for 30 seconds. Add the basil leaves, salt, and pepper. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is thoroughly pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for a minute. Serve, or store the pesto in the refrigerator or freezer with a thin film of olive oil on top.

My favorite is boiling up some bowtie pasta then mixing some pesto into it... heaven!


I'll try to post as much as I can this week, work has me working extremely long hours so it is a little hard! On that note, I'd like to give a little shout out to my wonderful boyfriend for sneaking flowers and a sweet card into my apartment while I was at work... after a TOUGH day this is just what I needed! :)

4 comments:

  1. Your make your mama proud with your culinary skills! Keep it up sweetie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pesto too! I just had it for dinner last night! I am excited to try your recipe, it sounds so good! You did a great job with growing your basil plant too! I feel like i always kill all my plants :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I just found your blog! I have never made pesto yours sounds fabulous and looks absolutely delish! Beautiful flowers!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love pesto, too! In pasta, on a sandwich or right off the spoon!

    On Sunday, I bought some Pesto Hummus at Trader Joe's. I think I've already eaten half the container and it's not small! So good. Have the basil growing, too.

    You have a very sweet and attentive boyfriend. What a wonderful thing to come home to after a tough day!

    ReplyDelete

::COMMENTS::