5.26.2010

Ravioli Caprese


Since I had off all day today (finally, first day off in 10 days!) I decided to cook Brice up a yummy dinner and try something I had never tried before, making ravioli! Yes, rolling out the dough, using the little ravioli cutter...etc. It's a lot harder than it looks! I made a MESS! I absolutely LOVE Giada DeLaurentiis, everything she cooks looks amazing. I thought I'd share the recipe with y'all! So here it is..

{Ingredients}

Dough:

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 cup very hot water

Filling:

  • 3/4 cup whole milk ricotta
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup finely shredded store-bought rotisserie chicken
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Sauce:

  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

For the dough:
In a large bowl combine the flour and the water. Using a wooden spoon, stir to combine into a large ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 10 minutes.

For the filling:
Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
To form the ravioli, cut the dough into 4 evenly sized pieces. The dough should be slightly sticky. Add extra flour as necessary for rolling, but use only a little as necessary. Form each piece into a 2 by 6-inch rectangle. Recover the dough with the plastic wrap.
Lightly dust the work surface and a rolling pin. Working with 1 piece of dough at a time, roll the dough into a 4 by 19-inch rectangle. Place 9 rounded teaspoons of filling about 1-inch apart down the center of the dough. Fold the dough over the filling. Press down around the edges of each of the ravioli with your fingertips. Cut the ravioli into small squares and press down around the edges again with your fingertips to seal. Place the finished ravioli on a baking tray and continue forming the remaining ravioli.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add half the ravioli and cook until the ravioli float stirring occasionally, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain into a large bowl and cook the remaining ravioli.
Pour the olive oil over the cooked ravioli. Add the basil, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Gently toss to coat and serve immediately.

I must admit that I had to go out to Bed Bath & Beyond and buy a rolling pin, yes, that's right... I didn't have one! Who doesn't have a rolling pin?  have all of these fancy gadgets, yet no basic rolling pin. So of course I had to then get a ravioli cutter, next thing you know I'm looking at every single kitchen gadget wishing I could get one of those little guns like they give you when you're creating a registry, and click everything I want for my birthday/Christmas! haha! I should invent that, Birthday/Christmas registries! While perusing,  I found this precious little pink flower pot scrubber, so I thought to myself "I really think I need this b/c pesto is so aggrivating to get out of my pots and I scrub and scrub forever..." yes that is a great excuse to buy this precious little gadget! (Let me also add, that last time I cooked a meal for Brice, he proceeded to take my potato scrubber and scrub pots with it! NO! I had to correct him!) He had fun washing dishes tonight with my cute little pink scrubber :) haha!



13 comments:

  1. hahah i still need to buy a rolling pin too! i had to use a wine bottle once to roll out pizza dough. not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a girlfriend who actually has a Christmas and Birthday registry at Macys and Tiffany. She updates it about 2 months before the holiday and we all know what to get her. Its so nice and easy! No gift receipts necessary!
    Also, I loove Giada too! She is so fun and easy to watch; and your ravioli look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmmmm that looks so yummy!!!! make me some!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful blog you have! I just came across it, I don't even know how, but I'm so glad I did! Can't wait to read more :) I hope you have a wonderful long weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to cook, but have always been afraid to make my own pasta. This doesn't look hard at all. It looks so delicious, too. I'm going to add it to my list of recipes to try. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks so much for posting. I always love a good recipe! :)

    As far as kitchen gadgets go, I'm obsessed, too. I could spend hours at a cooking store.

    Giada, love her. I've made some awesome Giada dishes over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay girl! I came over here just now to tell you that you won my Cid Pear Stationary giveaway and I almost fell out of my chair when I saw you were THE BROOKE on Amazing Race. I don't think you could possibly know how much I LOVE that show. It is like my fav and I remember watching you! This is to awesome! Thanks for entering and I am so happy you won! Have an awesome day!
    XOXO Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!!! I can't believe that I won! And I can't believe you remember me either!! I guess you can't really forget all of that pink! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey girl, just found out about you from kitchen belleicious and your blog is too cute - new follower! who did your blog design btw? i love your header!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I actually found the background at shabbyblogs.com and I designed my header! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness I want your pink dish scrubber! Way too cute!!! Thanks for the fabulous recipe! I love it!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog via Kitchen Bellecious, and first off, love that scrubber! And your raviolis look delish - I can't believe I've still never made them! It may be time :) xxSAS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! Got a hold of your blog on Kitchen Bellecious. Looking forward to reading your lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks perfect! paired with red wine.... yes please!

    Do you have a boston terrier? I have one too. He's seven – such a great dog – love him.

    ReplyDelete

::COMMENTS::