6.17.2010

Body Pump Officially Kicked My Booty...


Last night I agreed to attend my first body pump class with my friend Jenny. She is super athletic and takes these classes pretty regularly. I was a little hesitant at first but agreed to go because I knew I had lost all muscle tone since I moved to Charleston in March. (I've only been doing cardio when I can because my work schedule is so random) She explained to me that I would be ok because I can control the amount of weight to use. I thought to myself "Perfect! I'll use the smallest amount possible!" When we got to class and started setting up our weights, of course, she proceeded to choose our spots right front and center... grrr! Now everyone is going to be looking at me trying to do a squat! Thankfully, she told the instructor before class that it was my first time, so at least he didn't think I was completely weight/rhythm/coordination challenged! And after class, he told me I did a great job for my first time! Go me!


For those of you that are not very familiar with body pump, let me explain. It is an hour long class of strength training that works every muscle in your body. And believe it or not, you're getting a great cardio workout at the same time. The instructor plays music and for each track, you work one muscle group. So really, thats about 4-5 minutes on each! OWW! At first, it was a piece of cake... but once I got towards the second half of the class my legs were shaking. I really enjoyed the class though, it gave me such a sense of accomplishment and made me feel so much better about myself. I've made it my goal to start going twice a week, and doing cardio the other days. You can burn about 600 calories and see results pretty fast if you keep it up.

I think it really took a toll on me though, I overslept 35 minutes this morning! I NEVER do that!! I think I might put my alarm across the room tonight so I have to physically get out of bed and walk over to it... which might take a while in the morning since the 2nd day is usually the worst! Yikes!

9 comments:

  1. did you do this at east shore? i have a friend erica that teaches body pump...she's on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to do this class at least once a week or so at my local YMCA, and I am always so sore afterward! It kicks my butt, but I always feel better after doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a class similar to this and I died! The funny thing about it is I overslept the following day too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this was at East Shore... but I don't think the girls name was Erica. And we had a man for the second half (he was tougher!! ugh!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super impressed with you little lady! Enjoy your weekend!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. That class sounds so amazing! Such a cute blog you've got here :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay another Charleston girl! I just found your blog and we have the same layout! How funny! I'm taking my first body pump on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At East Shore?? I'm am going to try to make their class at 6:45.. I'll be the one that has the least amount of weight!! ha! And p.s. I was sore Thursday... Friday... and a little on Saturday too! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed last week, but I'll be there for this Thursday! I think Erica will be teaching! Sore for three days! Eek! Sounds like an awesome workout!

    ReplyDelete

::COMMENTS::