6.29.2010

Bug Off!

Down south we have the WORST problem with what we call "palmetto bugs"... which doesn't sound too bad! Actually, the proper term is "American Cockroach" - which sounds disgusting, and they are. Lately, I've been experiencing at least one of these pesky little  big guys in my apartment. You would think you only get these pests if you live in an old, nasty, dirty, cluttered space. I am VERY clean! and it's nice! How do they get in and what attracts them?! I have a lot of trees around me, and live by the water, so I feel that is one reason. But I really cannot stand them, they are disgusting, ugly, flying bugs that do no good for anyone! What is their purpose?! And how can I eliminate these nasty pests?! Suggestions? Does anyone else have these too? I'm so scared I'm going to see one when Brice isn't there to kill them for me. I typically run squealing to my room and close the door until he's successfully flushed them down the toilet! HELP!

8 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog today!

    Ughhh I get chills just thinking about palmetto bugs. I'll never forget the first time I saw one. Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was getting them a lot in Atlanta too. Your apartment complex should have an exterminator service of some sort - call and have them spray you! They have to do it fairly regularly (every other month or so) but I found that when they were, I had much fewer palmettos in my apartment. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have chills and tears in my eyes for you. They're at ever beach house we ever visit- no matter how nice! I.HATE.BUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you! When I was living in FL we had them all the time. My family always had the house sprayed once a month, and my mother swore by eucalyptus. She always had a sprig of it sitting in various rooms throughout the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thanks for the tip about eucalyptus! I will have to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are sooo gross!!! I am making curl get an exterminator out her on a frequent basis to get rid of all the pesky bugs we seem to get living on the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HATE them with a passion. I actually prefer cockroaches over them because they don't jump when you try to kill them. Ew! Hope you get a solution soon. I still have no idea where mine come from either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey brooke just saw you have a blog, and you should try boric acid to get rid of palmetto bugs, roaches, silverfish, spiders, and well all sorts...its cheap. You sweep it into the crack between the floor and the floor board, or into the carpet. Leave it for a day and vacc it up. Its non toxic...Give it a try! When first moved to SC we moved into some GHETTO apts off harbison bc we didn't know any better, and we had bugs, my mom used it and it worked wonders!! :) Good luck!!!

    ---Carrie Crosby-Sowers :)

    ReplyDelete

::COMMENTS::