6.14.2010

What's in my fridge?!

Tonight for dinner I decided I wanted pasta... but I wanted to be healthy at the same time. Not that past isn't healthy, it is! I just did not want a huge carb overload with creamy sauce. (Even though that would be heaven). I found some orzo pasta in my pantry, so I decided to look around and see what I thought would be good in it! This is what all I came up with:

• 1 clove garlic, minced
• zest & juice of 1 lemon
•olive oil (as much as needed)
•2-3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
•1/2 tomato
• a few slices roasted eggplant
•fresh grated Parmesan

I cut the eggplant into slices, seasoned with salt & a little drizzle of olive oil and baked them in the oven at about 400º until they started turning slightly brown on top.  While that was cooking, I boiled my orzo pasta and prepared the rest of my ingredients. Right before the orzo was done, I put some olive oil in the bottom of a small skillet and added my minced garlic. After that cooked down a bit I drained my pasta and poured this over it, then added the basil, tomato, lemon zest, lemon juice, a little more olive oil and I cut up a few pieces of the roasted eggplant. Season with as much salt & pepper as desired. Then, top with as much fresh Parmesan as you want! (I like a lot!)

 Mmmm... I need to think of a name for this!

Ahhh my mess!!

I will have to say that if I make this again I believe I will leave out the eggplant, and use portabello mushrooms instead, and maybe some chicken to add a little protein, along with more basil!  Although the eggplant was good, I prefer my eggplant as fritters (FRIED) as opposed to roasted. The rest of the dish was heavenly! I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow :)

My friend Amanda recently introduced me to a new blog, Peanut Butter Fingers. She recently posted about flour less peanut butter cookies. PEANUT BUTTER?! Yes please! (I'm a peanut butter freak). The best part is it's only 3 ingredients, and they're ready in 10 minutes!

•1 cup peanut butter
•1 cup sugar
•1 egg
Bake at 350º for 10 minutes

 mmmmmm....

ooey gooey peanut buttery goodness... aka heaven in my mouth! (Please excuse my chipped nail)

So easy! So I made these tonight as well... ummm AMAZING. They are so peanut buttery! I already ate one, will probably eat another in a minute, and I'm taking the rest to Brice tomorrow because he's so sweet and loves peanut butter too! :)



I also saw where she wrote about these chocolate calcium supplements. Every girls needs extra calcium, and this comes in the form of chocolate which is WAY more easy to remember to take than a pill! I went to the store tonight and picked these up, and they are delicious! They come in milk chocolate and dark chocolate. I've formed a conclusion that all vitamins should come in the form of chocolate :)

3 comments:

  1. Becky Jackson (aka ~mama)June 15, 2010 at 8:48 AM

    My little gourmet chef! I'm so happy to hear you are experimenting with food. I'm with you...I'd leave the eggplant out next time...it's better as fritters...maybe you could substitute the eggplant with zucchini or fresh spinach...maybe even a few capers! Love the chocolate calcium...yum...so how many calories does each one contain? heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the chocolate calcium is 30 calories... and has 500mg of calcium (50% daily value) as well as Vitamins D & K!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you discovered the flourless cookies! I tried them once but made them wayyy too big, but the flavor was delish! Must try again soon!

    ReplyDelete

::COMMENTS::