10.13.2010

Does Disney Hate Mothers?

My coworker, Brandy, and I had a conversation this morning about why Disney hates mothers. Call me crazy, but I am pretty sure there is an anti-mother theme in every Disney movie. Not necessarily "anti" but it could be "lack of" as well. It's pretty disturbing to say the least! Here are a few examples:
Bambi: Mother is killed, this is one of the saddest Disney movies of all time in my opinion.


Beauty and the Beast, Belle: No mother


Cinderella: No mother, but just an evil Step-Mother


The Fox & the Hound: Tod, mother killed by gunshot


Hunchback of Notre Dame: Quasimodo, mother killed


The Little Mermaid: Arial, no mother... I believe she was killed as well.


Finding Nemo: Nemo, mother killed by a barracuda.

Does anyone else find this disturbing? There are others, I just don't feel like listing them all. Apparently Walt Disney's mother died, maybe this has something to do with it? It's just a recurring theme that bothers me. I understand not every movie has to have a happily married mother and father because in this day and age, that isn't always the case. But come on! Don't kill the mothers or make them completely non existant! I won't even watch Finding Nemo because I cry when his mom is killed, and I can promise you if I had seen that when I was little I would be so upset and just want to be with my mom. Anyone else notice this weird trend??

7 comments:

  1. I've noticed this!!! We always used to talk about how no one in Disney movies has two parents! I suppose that a lot of times it applies to the plot, but when I was little I could barely watch Bambi and the Lion King because it upset me when the parents died! Of the top of my head I couldn't think of any with parents still alive so I googled it haha but only found 4!! 101 Dalmatians, Peter Pan, Incredibles and Mulan....sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great observation! I never noticed but you are so right!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, how did we just pick up on this??? That's crazy! And Jasmine too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true!!! Never thought of that...still can't watch Bambi!

    Aladdin - No mom!

    Sleeping Beauty - Nope!

    Pocahontas - Just a chief daddy!

    Snow White - Just a bunch of dwarves!

    You are so right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so funny Brooke - Heather just pointed this out to me the other night! I had never realized this.....weird!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, how did I not realize this? We need to write to Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - I didn't think about this until now, but so true!

    ReplyDelete

::COMMENTS::