3.20.2011

Happy Birthday Brice!

Last week was Brice's birthday and over the course of the last week we have had several celebrations. I asked him what he wanted me to cook him for dinner on his birthday and he replied "Crab Cakes and Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo" Of course I had to have something green added in the mix so I decided on roasted asparagus... can't go wrong with that!

I had never made crab cakes before, so I decided to scour foodnetwork.com for the most appealing recipe. I decided on Ina Garten's Crab Cakes, I have never had any of her recipes that I didn't LOVE! They came out amazing, however leave AMPLE time to prepare. We ended up eating dinner around 9 pm because it is a rather long process! Here is the recipe:


{Ingredients}


  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 cup small diced red onion (This took about 1/2 of a somewhat small onion)
  • 1 1/2 cups small diced celery (4 stalks)
  • 1/2 cup small diced red bell pepper (1 small pepper)
  • 1/2 cup small diced yellow bell pepper (1 small pepper)
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon capers, drained
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I used Texas Pete)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, drained and picked to remove shells
  • 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup good mayonnaise (I used Duke's)
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
  • For frying
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup olive oil

{Directions}

Place the 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons oil, onion, celery, red and yellow bell peppers, parsley, capers, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, crab boil seasoning, salt, and pepper in a large saute pan over medium-low heat and cook until the vegetables are soft, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.

before cooking...

after cooking...

Cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, break the lump crabmeat into small pieces and toss with the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, mustard, and eggs. Add the cooked mixture and mix well. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

mix it all up!!
Shape into bite-sized crab cakes. Heat the butter and olive oil for frying over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add the crab cakes and fry for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until browned.


Drain on paper towels; keep them warm in a 250 degree oven and serve hot.

YUMM!!
The only thing I'm going to do next time, is find a yummy sauce to drizzle over the top! This is a meal that I would recommend to prepare the night before, so the next day all you have to do is fry them.

Here's the rest of the meal... although the crab cakes seemed to steal the show!


We continued birthday celebrations by heading to Atlanta on Thursday so that we could celebrate St. Patrick's Day with his friends and have the rest of the weekend to spend with family. We had a yummy seafood dinner at Steamhouse Lounge. I loved how perfect the weather was, I remember looking at my watch at 11:30 pm and it was still 70* outside... perfect!!
Siblings!

After dinner we walked over to Whole World Theater for an improv comedy show. It was hilarious! If any of you are ever in the Atlanta area you definitely need to check it out! If you are in the Charleston area, check out Theater 99, same idea they just do things a little different. Brice and I went there last year on our 1 year anniversary and I had a blast!


We ended the night with champagne, cake, and present opening... before getting back home at 2 am! It's always a party with this family, and I love it! Can't wait for our beach trip this summer... I'm counting the days!

2 comments:

  1. YUM.....Looks delicious!!!
    Love your blog...you are so damn cute and so is your blog. Great pictures....beautiful family.
    I'm a new follower.
    Amy's Life @
    www.amyclairejacob.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh...that looks so yum.
    You need to share that on my recipe swap next Friday!!
    Your pictures are great.

    Looks like a great birthday celebration.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

::COMMENTS::