4.06.2011

Decorah Eagles

I have to share this with everyone because I find it so interesting! Have any of you been watching the Decorah Eagles video? If not go HERE

This is live footage of an eagles nest in Decorah, Iowa. Two eaglets (I love that word!) hatched over the weekend and there is one more egg left. I am determined to see that last egg hatch! I find it so amazing how these eagles take care of their young like humans. The mother and father switch off keeping them warm and feeding them (please, disregard the large piece of road kill they pull dinner from!) If you scroll down below the video you can read several facts about this little eagle family! Here are a few I find most interesting:

  • The nest is about 5-6 feet across and deep. It weighs about 1.5 TONS. That is an elephant!
  • They have been building the nest since 2007
  • They have been a "couple" since 2007.
  • They have hatched and fledged 2 eaglets in 2008, 3 in 2009 and 3 more in 2010. Now there will be 3 more!
Who knew all of this about eagles?! You learn something new everyday!

1 comment:

  1. I think they are just precious! I could watch them all day. She is such a good mama...always keeping her little eaglets warm and pulling the nest up next to her to keep the wind out. Mother nature is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

::COMMENTS::